Monday, November 23, 2009

Another greenscreen test...

Well, it's rough. The matte on the foreground element looks pretty lame- I've got to figure out the settings to get an alpha channel into FXHome.

Nevertheless, I am pretty excited about this test for a couple of reasons. It looks pretty good. Once I get that fg matte looking better, it will look real. The train holds up. At the distance I shot it at, and the lighting system I used (an overhead 1k and a side diffused 1k) it blended pretty nicely in color with the image.

One other issue- I'm still not completely sure that the output settings I'm using from FXHome are correct. I am choosing the same output (HD 1080i60) but it plays back choppy. Weird.

Well, I hope you enjoy!

Friday, November 20, 2009

My first greenscreen test!

This is the official first test of computer, software and camera used together to composite an actor into a background. We learned some things tonight.
  1. The greenscreen has to be more evenly lit. Part of the problem may be that I painted the garage wall and I'm getting some weird highlights on the wall, despite the fact that the paint is flat, not glossy.
  2. I'm not sure my garage is big enough. Initially, I thought that it would make a cool little studio. Trouble is, the ceilings only eight feet off the ground. And it's only about fifteen feet across. Not wide enough, damnit!
  3. Can't do totally dark clothes and composite over a dark image.
Regardless, this looks promising!

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A grand experiment...

I'm just trying to do some old film looks with some footage we came up with. It looks promising, but I really have to learn this software. I'm using FXhome and Final Cut Pro... And I've never used them before. Should be interesting!

I bought the train down at the Train Shack in Burbank. Nice guys. The train totally looks like something that's running at Disneyland!

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The mooring dock is almost done!

This is where the picture of the entire cast is taken at the end of the prologue.
Well, after several days of modelling, I've finally finished the mooring dock interior. Now all that's left is filling it up with stuff. You know. Stuff. Like big wooden crates, signs, a Glowerston Industries logo, and some other stuff to make it more... Lived in. Regardless, I'm pretty proud of this image... I've never lit anything before and this is looking pretty real-

Monday, November 2, 2009

The bathysphere interior... Very rough.

I thought I had a more detailed drawing. But alas, I do not. Ideally every rib is the same, and styled in a Harper Goff Victorian shape. This interior is not "Steampunk" in that it is very utilitarian, since Mulvey designed the thing under duress. There will be a lock box under one portal which, when opened, will provide access outside of the vehicle to bring the treasure inside. On the opposite wall, a bunsen burner to heat water for tea.

For though his location may change, a gentleman remains a gentleman.

I will be doing a more detailed drawing tomorrow.
And here it is...