Friday, November 20, 2009

My first greenscreen test!


This is the official first test of computer, software and camera used together to composite an actor into a background. We learned some things tonight.
  1. The greenscreen has to be more evenly lit. Part of the problem may be that I painted the garage wall and I'm getting some weird highlights on the wall, despite the fact that the paint is flat, not glossy.
  2. I'm not sure my garage is big enough. Initially, I thought that it would make a cool little studio. Trouble is, the ceilings only eight feet off the ground. And it's only about fifteen feet across. Not wide enough, damnit!
  3. Can't do totally dark clothes and composite over a dark image.
Regardless, this looks promising!

4 comments:

  1. It DOES look promising. I too had my doubts when you said you were using your garage. I personally always felt that you would be wanting more space (But then we always do!) Evenly lighting a green screen is paramount and not easy unless you have plenty of lights. How are you lighting the screen ? Are you diffusing the lights thrown at it, bouncing, direct?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I've got four professional 1ks (two with box diffusers) and three home depot work lights. But the problem is just getting the damn wall to not reflect the highlights.

    I'm also going to paint the outside wall too- That way I can shoot greenscreen outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say you might have to move outdoors or look for cheap warehouse space. Thats something the Valley is quite used to renting out to film productions.

    Sounds like your well 'lit' :) Those Home Depot lights are pretty powerful - we have a few here - would offer them up but we use them quite often.

    i am a bit perplexed regarding the restrictions of not being able to have any performers wearing darker cloths though... That normally shouldnt be too much of a problem. Maybe its just this one shot here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, no... It's simply a restriction this film imposes on me- Once I run it through the old timey filters, the darks blend together.

    ReplyDelete